August 28, 2013

A CHOICE OR A COMPROMISE

Taking the time for yourself, to exercise, burn off a little stress is important right? But what about family time, or meeting a friend for coffee, spending time with your spouse-more important? I've heard this before, well in some version anyway I just don't have time to exercise. We work and rush to meet deadlines, pick up groceries, clean the house and somewhere in all that we need to make time for ourselves and for those we love. Maybe it doesn't have to be one or the other?


I've worked pretty hard over the last couple years at balancing all these parts of my life, I don't have down, but I have managed to weave together my fitness routine and time with friends and family and its created a pretty little pattern that makes me so happy and content, so here's a few suggestions on how to make it happen.

1. WORK TOGETHER, the photo above is me with some of my family at a fitness event, this worked because we chose to do this together. We choose at every opportunity to get fit together. This mostly started last year when we started triathlon training, we all had to train so we turned it into something we did together. We would all drive out somewhere to cycle and then have lunch together afterwards. We motivated each other and we grew closer.


2. FRIENDS WHO RUN TOGETHER STAY TOGETHER. I've mentioned my friend Jess many times, and maybe Chris? But there are many more, I'm talking about my friends who take the time to come for a run with me. Yes it takes a little more scheduling but running with a friend is so much better than just the average cup of coffee, you fight physical battles together and on the days you're feeling a little low they cheer you on. Organize a little better, maybe you start with walking but let this be your quality time with a friend!



 3. COMUNICATE, This is going to seem like a fairly obvious tip but communicating about your schedules makes  for way more fun training times. We have a wattsapp group for spinning so everyday we can see who is up for a class, or Sundays when we feeling like a little fun we call each other up and do some boxing training. No week has to be the same, your schedules change so let your loved ones and friends know, make an effort to make it work.


4. BE A SUPPORTER. I make an effort after a work out to pop by husbands gym when I can, he'll come to a night run (when I make the effort to do one). I try show interest in his sport, sometimes train at his gym. This means the pressure for him to choose time with either me or his sport is gone, I want to be a part of what he loves and want him to do the same. Its simple, be there, and if you can, take part too.

5. MAKE IT AN EVENT. I love the current running culture, with colour runs and glow runs and night runs, fitness has become an event. Grab your family and go to a mountain bike park together, pack a picnice. Or go to a run event, make a day of it. Meet friends at a night run and stay for drinks afterwards, these memories stand out, they make life fuller somehow because they feed body and soul.
Karen did this with her girls, looked pretty awesome.

I work pretty hard to create a healthy lifestyle for myself but to be there for everyone in my life. Yes combining the two takes a little more work, but the bonds that are formed will be worth it.

xxx Caz
P.S. If you want to read on exercising with your kids Grace does it best:)
Also, if you're picking up errors on the post- blogger won't let me edit for some reason, anyone know how to fix this?

1 comment:

  1. Love this! You are so adorable! Can't wait to get to know you more...love Katie
    www.hopeengaged.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

love to hear from you, please check back for my reponse. ♥